Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Tuesday Excerpt, "Revenge"


“It would seem that I have chosen a battle I cannot win with

this leg of mine. You do remember the lesson about that, don’t

you?”

“Yes, school master…Fight no battle you cannot win. It was the

second lesson you taught me. It followed the one about never

underestimating an opponent. I never forgot.”

“You may not have forgotten, Lad, but you have paid them no

heed.”

Mandrean jerked his head over at Gramlick who knew he had

special privileges at that moment. The emperor’s teeth ground

together, and his face tightened.

“Tathbar knew the rule and deliberately broke it,” Mandrean

fumed. “And Grithinshield will pay for all the trouble he has

caused.”

Gramlick’s vision was failing so he paid attention to the

direction of Mandrean’s voice to maintain the illusion of sight. “I

think you give the Sartanian too much credit. Our troubles are not

his doing.”

“How can you say that?” Mandrean erupted while coming to

the bedside. “You know what happened. That man humiliated me.

He destroyed my palace…annihilated my elite guard, crushed

entire legions, and left me for dead in a pool of my own blood. Oh,

I give him credit. I credit him with creating this foul climate

throughout the empire. He has wronged me in the worst possible

ways, and he will pay for it. All will see that no one betters Lord

Mandrean and lives.

“He must die, to be sure, and his death will renew the people’s

confidence in me. The army’s morale will improve, and the

impotent group I met with earlier will pour the glory upon me like

a shower of golden raindrops. Forget the grain. The death of

Linvin Grithinshield will bring me all I desire.”

Gramlick was completely blind by the end of the oration. His

time was short. Mandrean had finally voiced his opinion, and

Gramlick had little time to get his point across.

“Boy. Grithinshield did not make the crops fail or the

conquered territory rebellious or the roads crumble or the Goblin

Nations fight. You credit the man for too much. His death will not

solve these problems. Most have forgotten the incident in the

mountains. The only person keeping this issue alive is you. You

seek revenge. That is an expensive thing that a wise emperor

knows he cannot afford.”

Mandrean was so self-involved that he paid no heed to the

faltering voice of his mentor. “I will have that revenge no matter

the cost!”

“Child, you have tried for a year to kill him. How many

assassins have returned—how many soldiers?” Gramlick began to

shake and start convulsions.

“Stay with me, schoolmaster,” Mandrean pleaded as he clasped

the general’s hand. “I need you.”

Gramlick fought to speak as his body contorted.

“There…is...more you must know. Acreas, Betrimpia and

Necromancer…. Don’t trust them.… They all want you dead for

their own…” Gramlick’s body stopped fighting and collapsed on

the bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment