Sunday, March 6, 2016

Sunday Excerpt, "Crucible"


Necromancer once again hovered down the makeshift hallway toward his seat. “I only did so at the request of his Eminence. As you know, I cannot refuse his commands. Still, you are right. I did destroy the doors to free our beloved Emperor after that scoundrel Grithinshield imprisoned him in his own throne room. After that I had nothing to do with Linvin grating the Imperial Standard in the hall, destroying that beautiful staircase, killing all those soldiers, skewering the Head Jailor, freeing the Princess of Romadon, demolishing the top of the tower and torching our Capital. No General, I cannot take credit for those acts. Oh, by the way. If you intend to send any messages, I would wait. It would seem our former guest ran off the horses at the message depot and killed the guards.” The smug sorcerer quietly sat on his small, backless chair.

Necromancer’s comments refueled the fire burning inside Mandrean who stormed over to address his servant. “You have questions to answer here as well.”

In his usual sarcastic tone Necromancer answered. “As always, I am at your disposal.”

“Why did you not tell me the Red Sapphire would not serve me, but it would kill me if I touched it with so much as a finger?” Mandrean demanded. “Perhaps you wanted me dead? Maybe that was your plan all along? That would suit your purposes well, would it not?”

Necromancer casually raised a hand and waived it in his master’s face as if the notion was laughable. “Come now Most Magnificent One. You know I cannot do you harm in any way. I also cannot lie to you.”

“You did lie to me.”

“I did no such thing,” Necromancer corrected. “I read on the chest the Red Sapphire resided within its right side and its master would have incredible power. You insinuated from those statements you could be its master. Nowhere in the writings did it say only Linvin could wield the gem. There was no lie in my statements.”

“Perhaps not,” Mandrean retorted. “I sense an omission of the full story in your details.”

Necromancer changed the subject as he looked at the pawns. “Just how do you plan your revenge against Linvin for his crimes against you, My Emperor?”

No comments:

Post a Comment