Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Publishing a Book


Well, it’s done.  All the marketing materials for my next book are finished.  That means I can send it to my publisher as soon as I hear back from my agent.  At long last I will be able to send my manuscript in for editing (somewhere in the lineup).  The next step in the process is to send it to my agent.  She will present it to the publisher and they will accept or reject it.  Since my contract owes them 3 more books, I think they will accept it.  Then they will put it in line to be published.  When the time comes, several months later, an editor and an illustrator will be assigned to the book.  Then we will have the back and forth of what must go and what must stay in the manuscript.  It’s like a tug of in a sense and can be easy or very difficult.  Once the edits are approved we work on the illustration.  My experiences have been very good with this part as the illustrator often sees my vision quite clearly.  When that is all done it is sent through to finishing.  Then you are sent you new, crisp, clean book.  Then your work really begins.  You have to promote it.  That means appearing on blogs and getting people to review your book.  There might be contests and if you’re lucky, book signings.  This is your baby.  If you don’t sell it, no one else will.

No comments:

Post a Comment