Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Tuesday Excerpt, "Revenge"


Necromancer had seen the room many times before and was not

impressed. “First you disturb my work with that imbecile you sent

to fetch me,” he called out. “Then I come all the way over here to

find out just what insignificant thing has you disturbed, and you

are hiding in steam you created yourself. Waste no more of my

time, Master.” He turned to leave.

“I don’t believe I like that tone of voice,” said a man through

the mist. The sounds of water sloshing back and forth in a bath

echoed through the room.

“What difference does my tone make?” Necromancer barked.

“No one said I am required to be polite to you. Now get on with

your reason for bringing me here.”

“Come closer.”

Necromancer drew nearer to the voice until its origin came into

view. In the largest bath of all sat a man of great size being washed

by several female servants in the water and out. In all, there were

six of them cleansing the man.

Though a broad man, he did not appear extraordinarily

muscular. He had perhaps 10 years, several inches and many

pounds on Linvin. The weight was not well distributed. It

concentrated in his belly, which was decorated with stretch marks.

A large and hideous scar highlighted the region. It was indeed

Lord Mandrean the 13th.

“Are you sure you have enough women to bathe you?”

Necromancer asked sarcastically.

“Actually, one of my servants is not here. She is with child. But

the baby will be here soon. It will not be long before she returns to

my service.”

“I’m sure she would be moved by your excitement at becoming

a father…again. Your concern for her is indeed moving. And your

Grace continues to demonstrate his concern by bouncing back

quickly from such a troubled heart.”

Mandrean was visibly angered by Necromancer’s attitude

toward the transgression. He gestured for his bathers to leave and

spoke once they were gone. “You are a fine one to lecture me on

such things. My concubines mean as little to me as all of humanity

does to you. I will forgive your insolent tone for I have business to

discuss,” Mandrean sneered.

Necromancer found the statement to be humorous in the way

one would when being scolded by a witless child. He did not point

that out, however, as he chose his battles wisely and saw nothing

to gain from an exchange of barbs.

“What can I do to be of service, Sire?”

No comments:

Post a Comment