Saturday, March 19, 2016

Saturday Excerpt, "Quest"


Rander wanted to run but could not move.  He could not look Linvin in the eyes.  Instead, Rander looked down and spoke in a quivering voice, “I don’t believe a word you said.  You’re all talk.”

Linvin looked down, noticing Rander’s soiled trousers and gave a wry smile.  “Your body says otherwise.  It's finally time to see which of you is right.”

As Linvin reached for Rander, Anvar gave a shrieking scream.  “Do not touch him!”  Linvin paid no heed.  “Linvin!” Anvar yelled again.  “Harm him and I am leaving.  You must show better control than this.”

Linvin paused, but did not look at his uncle.  “He insulted my father and me.”

“For that, you would kill your cousin?” Anvar reasoned.

“It sounds like a good idea at this moment,” Linvin stated firmly.

“Well, I wish I had brought diapers, because the two of you are acting like babies.”

“Linvin, how can you gain the Red Sapphire and accomplish all that you must if you cannot control your temper with a pathetic little parasite like Rander?  You are bigger than this.  Attacking out of anger?  Letting pride cloud your judgment?  That is not the person the gem wanted.  Deep down, the staff knows how good you are.  It takes hard work to be that man.  He is in you.  The question is whether you will grow into the man inside you, or continue to let these petty disputes lead you astray.  If you choose the latter, then go ahead and kill him.  

If you do, though, then I would have misjudged you and I would leave you immediately.” 

Linvin felt the burn of the scathing words in his very soul.  They cut deeply and brought about shame over his actions.  As his head cleared, he knew Anvar was right.  Killing Rander would solve nothing, though the passionate part of him would argue the point. 

Rander watched Linvin process the information.  As the anger dissipated from his cousin, he smiled and looked to exploit the weakness.  It was at that moment, that Anvar briskly strode over and slapped him across the face with the back of his hand.  Despite his age, Anvar delivered quite a blow.  He repeated the move, this time hitting the other side of Rander’s face.

“And as for you,” Anvar snorted in the face of his younger nephew, “were it not for the stench you have doused yourself in, I would put you over my knee and take a switch to you!”

“I’m too old for that!” Rander fired back.  “I am a man now.”

“Then try acting like one!” yelled Anvar.  “Inciting Linvin is no way to prove anything, other than the fact that you are a rotten little child with a death wish.  If you are as smart as I actually believe you are, then you know that Linvin is not your enemy.  When things get dangerous on this journey, as I am sure they will, you will be glad to have him by your side and not opposed to you.

“As for Linvin’s credentials, I can vouch that all he has told you is true, but do not ever let me hear comments like that from you again.”

No comments:

Post a Comment