Sunday, September 14, 2014

Sunday Excerpt, "Crucible"


The pieces start to come together.

The crowd mumbled at the utterance of the name.  Linvin and his company were immediately at attention.  As the noise grew to a crescendo Gramlick once again addressed his master.  “That is a bedtime story, My Lord.  Please tell me you don’t think you’re going to find it and lead our armies to victory?” Mandrean nodded to Fendri.  The Housemaster abruptly stood and disappeared into the hall from which Lord Mandrean arrived.  Moments later, he returned followed by two Imperial Guards carrying a stone chest the size of an anvil.   Strange letters were carved along its entire gray surface.  The lid was clearly separated into two equal sides.  Each was held closed by a latch forming a keyhole.  The soldiers set it on the ground before the Emperor.  They stepped away and Fendri returned to his seat.  Necromancer could barely remain seated as excitement took hold. Mandrean addressed Gramlick again.  “I don’t need to find it.  The Red Sapphire is in the chest before you.  I am currently the most powerful man in the world because of my position.  I will soon be the most powerful individual because of my abilities.”   Gramlick was dumbfounded.  “You mean to tell me the Legendary Red Sapphire, not seen since the Dark Ages, sits before your feet in that chest?”  Mandrean held out his hand toward Fendri who quickly filled it with a scroll.  “The writings are ancient and can only be read by Necromancer,” the Emperor answered.  “He assures me the Red Sapphire is in the right side of the chest.  The left side I presume to be some sort of a trap.  He is completely sure it is in the right side.  Is that correct, Necromancer?”  The eager Court Magician answered, “It is clear, My Lord.  The Red Sapphire is in the right side of the chest.”  “How did you come by this chest?” Gramlick asked in amazement.  “Have a seat, Old Friend, and I will tell you all.”  He opened the scroll and read silently for a moment.  Then he addressed the court again.  “Let me tell you all a story you will find most interesting.  Several years ago one of our iron mines found this chest deep within a section of solid rock.  It was not buried there.  It was completely surrounded as though the rock formed around it.  After the chest was sent here Necromancer told me the Red Sapphire was contained within and its master would command fantastic power.  The problem before me was that this was the end-piece of a puzzle.  The writings spoke of a staff and key that were the other components of the mystery.   In spite of all Necromancer’s efforts, even he could not open the chest.  The only way to gain the gem was to locate the other pieces of the puzzle.  “So I sent out agents around the world and they made an amazing discovery.  It would seem there was a merchant of some note in Sartan who also sought the Red Sapphire.  His name was Dirk Grithinshield.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment