Sunday, September 7, 2014

Sunday Excerpt, "Crucible"

Mandrean drops a bomb at the end of this one.
“If everything goes exactly as you say we will still have a problem you have not considered.  The northern border of Romadon is separated by a mountain range with only three passes.  For protection Romadon’s King built fortresses in the passes to keep the goblins in check.  If your assault succeeds, those forts would likely be reduced in strength or abandoned completely.  We know the Cangons are up to something.  If they were to take advantage of the situation and invade from the north, would your army fight their own brothers?”
Mandrean’s face turned pale.  Then he said in a modest tone, “They have sworn allegiance to me and will serve me until death.” Again Gramlick laughed.  “I once told a girl I loved her.  It didn’t mean I was married to her. “What I am trying to say,” Gramlick concluded. “Is that even if things go exactly the way you desire, you will likely find yourself trapped between two armies in command of one about to mutiny.” Mandrean stomped back to his throne and drank from his goblet.  “Why must you crush my dreams of conquest?” he asked of his former teacher. “I am looking out for your best interest,” Gramlick offered.  “I have planned and won many battles for you.  This is not one you were meant to win.” “So you want me to just give up on defeating Romadon?” Mandrean snapped. “Why must you defeat them at all?” Gramlick said as he limped toward the throne.  “They are a powerful nation and would make a great ally.  They have never made an aggressive move toward us. I am also told you are holding Princess Mirianna captive.  Take her as your bride and unite the two houses.  We would have markets for our goods and a valuable friend in the west.” “What is it about today that makes everyone want me to take a bride?” Mandrean asked rhetorically. “I am told she is a beauty beyond compare,” Gramlick prodded. “Well she won’t be for long,” Mandrean grinned.  “I do not want an ally, a trading partner or a wife.  I want Romadon, defeated, subjugated and crushed.  As for their Princess, I have turned her over to our head jailor for interrogation.  She will give up all her secrets. Then her body will be dismembered and returned to her father.  Perhaps we can force him to attack us for a change.”
Gramlick shook his head and looked at the floor in disappointment.  “My Lord, even after all these years your strongest trait is your tenacity.  In this instance it will be your undoing.” Mandrean thought for a moment and smiled widely.  “I do not think so, Old Friend.  We will attack in a fortnight.  We will win.” Gramlick stared at his master with contempt and placed his hand on his hip.  “Just how do you figure that?” Mandrean sat up with fine posture and said, “Because I will lead the armies.” Gramlick nodded in acknowledgement though not in agreement.  “So you believe your presence there will alter the outcome?” Mandrean’s smile continued to grow.  “In a way.”  Then he addressed the entire court.  “Perhaps you have all heard of the Red Sapphire?”

No comments:

Post a Comment