Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Man I Hate Insurance

I am one of those people who calls things what they are.  My case in point today is insurance.  This is legalized racketeering.  I feel like I am paying protection money to the mob only they find a way to make this legal.  Then these companies have the unmitigated gall to go on the media and advertise for your business.  I once had to get a bid for some insurance work (which they ended up not covering) and the contractor told me one of those simple but true sayings that stick with you.  He said, “Insurance companies don’t make money by paying claims.  They make money by collecting premiums.”  Sounds like a dumb revelation, right?  But look at all the commercials out there for insurance.  They talk about how they’re there for you in a crisis and how quickly they pay your claim.  Then they show some agent handing a blanket to a person who just had their home destroyed.  Enjoy the blanket, Dude, because IF they pay your claim you’ll be at the Motel 6 for at least a month first.  Not only do they want your money, but they want to pick and choose who they cover and how much to charge for their protection.  If it’s health insurance they want you to take a physical.  If you aren’t in perfect health it’s going to cost you.  And if you need a procedure done, first you have to shell out your money as a “deductible” before they will kick in, even though you’re paying them to protect you.  How about driving?  Well, if you had a ticket or traded paint with another car 2 years ago you might as well be playing Grand Theft Auto in real life from their perspective.  Oh, you have a straight A student dependent who just received their license?  Yeah, that just doubled your rate.  I had a flood in my basement where the sump pumps couldn’t keep up with the water pouring in and I was told it would only be covered if the water came in through a window or a pipe burst.  So I would have been better off to open the windows and let the water in that way?  What’s wrong with this picture?  I have full coverage on my car and a stone cracked the windshield over about an 18 inch length.  No problem.  I have glass coverage, right?  Well, it seems if the windshield needs to be replaced there is a $500 deductible that must be met first.  It’s only $345 to have them replace it.  I called a local place and they’ll do it on site for $225.  Thank goodness I had the insurance for that one, not.  So I called the insurance person and told them their insurance was worthless.  They said chips would be covered free.  Well the phone book has a dozen coupons for free or cheap chip repair.  How is that worth what they are charging?  But the worst part, the very worst part about insurance is that you have to have it.  It’s the law and its common sense because God forbid something catastrophic does happen and you don’t have it. You could get sued or be paying till you’re past on.  Man I hate insurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment