Saturday, September 6, 2014

Saturday Excerpt "Quest"

Here’s your Saturday excerpt.
Linvin’s head popped up and stared at his uncle. “Then what is this all about?” Anvar returned to his rocking and puffing.  After a few moments he formulated his words and spoke, “Your mother was absolutely set against your leaving.  What you have been experiencing tonight is the life your mother has envisioned for you since you were born.” “And my father’s plan?” “I can only hope his plan died with him.  It was reckless and dangerous.  With any luck at all, it would never bear fruit.” “Just tell me, Anvar, what was his plan?” “It is not for me to say,” Anvar answered.  “It was not my plan.” “So what am I supposed to do?” Linvin demanded. Anvar looked up at the sky.  Only a few clouds obscured the view.  At that moment, one of the clouds had hidden the reflection of the moon.  “Look at the sky Linvin.  Tell me, is the moon out tonight?” Linvin leaned back and took in the sky.  “Yes,” he answered simply. “How do you know?” asked Anvar.  “I do not see the moon anywhere.” “It is right there,” pointed Linvin.  “There are just some clouds blocking it from view.” “But you are sure it is there?” asked Anvar. “Prove it to me.  How can you prove that the moon is there?”
“Well,” Linvin said as he rubbed his chin, “We can just wait here until it comes out from behind that cloud.  Then you will see it.” “So even though the answer may be there all along, I will not be able to see it until the time is right?” Anvar asked. “Well, of course,” Linvin stated.  “Unless you believe it is there all the time, then your only choice is to wait for it to reveal itself.” “So you are telling me that I must just believe the moon is there until it appears and proves it?  You seem quite confident in the outcome.  How do you know that the moon will appear again?” “I do not know,” said Linvin.  “I guess it just always comes out sooner or later.” Anvar smiled and remarked, “And so will the answer to your question, my boy.  The answer is out there.  What you must do, is wait for it to present itself; just like your moon.  Until then, you must believe the answer will appear.” Linvin looked at the sky and rocked his chair. “And what do I do until I get my answer?” “I would suggest giving your mother’s ideas a chance.  No one said you have to get married right away. Get involved with the business.  It needs you right now.  I see a lot of your father in you and I think you will take to it quite well.  Try things your mother’s way and get to know the woman who will always love you more than any other.  Otherwise, the day will come when you will wish you had known her better.  Besides, there is more to do around here than wait for the moon to poke through some clouds.”

No comments:

Post a Comment