Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Why Are You Staring at Your Dog's Butt? @Solsticepublish

I was looking through Twitter and Facebook in search of inspiration for my blog.   I’m in kind of a relaxed mode where everything seems more amusing.  One person posted that they thought their dog’s rear looked like Jesus.  Then they posted the picture.  That was disturbing on all kinds of levels.  The first question I must ask is why you are looking at your dog in that way?  The next question is, “Out of everything your brain could imagine, you came up with Jesus?”  We don’t even know what he looked like.  It’s not like someone took their camera phone out and snapped a picture of him.  So how do you determine that your dog’s butt has his portrait imprinted upon it?  I guess people see what they want.  On to more serious topics.  I was talking with my 22 year old son yesterday and I came to the conclusion that he still thinks I’m stupid and ignorant as to how the world works.  To give him some credit, he at least acknowledges some things from the past on which I was right.  I am apparently not as feebleminded as I was when he was 18 and knew everything.  Now I am at least right once in a while.  He still thinks my ideas are out of date and out of touch with reality.  I would never wish for bad things to happen to my children but there is a small part of me that wants to be there when everything he has “figured out” blows up in his face.  Maybe he’ll be right this time and rainbows will fill the sky with unicorns frolicking bellow.  I think that’s a pipe dream but it is his life and he obviously only learns by making mistakes for himself.  On another topic, my oldest daughter has a boyfriend.  I knew this day would come eventually but it’s one of those things you can never completely prepare for in advance.  I’ve met this boy twice and looked intently for something to dislike about him.  I have to say, the kid’s played his cards well.  I couldn’t find a thing wrong with him.  The young man was polite and well mannered.   He laughed at my jokes, which means he must really want me to like him because I’m not that funny.   Overall he did a good job and didn’t put his foot in his mouth once.  He showed remarkable composure for a 16 year old boy.  Unfortunately, I was once a 16 year old boy myself and there were certain topics that dominated my thinking.  Those topics had nothing to do with impressing parents.  For that reason I will watch this fellow closely.  Fortunately, my daughter is a most stubborn person.  I think he will have his hands full.  Let’s not start putting him in family pictures just yet.  He is a first boyfriend.  We’ll wait and see how this plays out.  For the time being, I’m just pleased he didn’t say his dog’s butt looks like Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment