Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Little Things @Solsticepublish

People have a tendency to focus on the big things they want in life.  “I could be happy if I had that car or house or job.”  Those are all important things but they happen with seldom frequency.  Waiting on such things leaves us in a state where we are yearning for happiness.  Now the little things in life are the ones that sustain you and make you feel happy.  What sort of little things, you may wonder?  It varies from person to person.  Perhaps that little thing is rewarding yourself with lunch at your favorite restaurant.  Maybe all it takes is a game of basketball with some friends or having a drink with your pals after work.  For me I found a little piece of heaven today when I went to Panera and bought my family a dozen bagels.  It was something I used to do weekly but had cut it out of my routine.  It is said that “Absence makes the heart grow fonder” and that was certainly true today.  Wow that bagel was good!  It was still soft and warm when I opened it.  With just a light layer of whipped cream cheese spread over the top I thought I had just had them for the first time.  It was as if they had improved the recipe in the time since I bought them last.  That felling of happiness made the whole day feel better.  Maybe it wasn’t the biggest thing in the world, but it made me happy.  That’s really what it’s all about.  The big things in life are what you hope and aspire for but it’s the little ones that make your day special.  As a young boy I would eat apples often as snacks.  Before I could eat one, however, I always had to wash it and then give it to my mother.  She would rub it with a towel until it shined.  Clearly it was all mental but a shined apple from Mom always tasted better.  It was just a little thing, though.  To this day I wash my apples and shine them up before eating and do the same for my children.  It doesn’t matter if the reward is food or doing something you enjoy or whatever.  As long as you do something special for yourself or someone else every day you will have that great feeling.  Those are the feelings you remember and cherish.  It could be just about anything but the fact that you did something out of the ordinary will make your days happier and brighter.  So do a little something for yourself today.  The little things are what sustain you.

No comments:

Post a Comment