Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Computers of Today and Tomorrow


Sorry I missed yesterday.   I was having computer problems.  It’s amazing how computers have come to run our lives.  I almost never carry cash anymore because I use my debit card for everything.  When I do need cash, I don’t go to the teller.  I drive up to the ATM.  Yesterday highlighted to me just how much I depend on my computer.  I use it to write, exchange emails, check Facebook, blog, make grocery lists, listen to music, video chat, keep up on the news and online bank.  Take that away and a lot of my life is missing.  Even my phone is a computer.  It emails and texts along with running a host of applications from the palm of my hand.  This has all happened very quickly.  Think of the show “Friends.”  They rarely had computers or cell phones and life went on just fine.  Now consider that show ended less than 20 years ago.  Look how much things have changed.  Even I’m an albatross still using a desk top computer when most people have switched over to a laptop.  There are computers in your cable box, in your car, in your alarm clock, in your kitchen appliances and your laundry appliances.  Our lives are in the hands of these machines.  Yesterday I saw a glimpse of life without them.  Like heroin addicts we are totally devoted to computers.  And times are still changing.  The other day I heard about a company in Wisconsin that was actually microchipping their employees!  It’s being done for identification and access to corporate buildings.  The company says it’s the wave of the future.  Now the computer technology is going INSIDE us.  Imagine what 20 years from now will look like!  AI (Artificial Intelligence) is already in commercials.  Where will that take us?  I’m not saying this is going to be bad when change comes.  I just think we should keep an ounce skepticism.

No comments:

Post a Comment