Saturday, September 12, 2015

Saturday Excerpt, "Quest"


“Is something wrong?” he asked.  Linvin’s face was red and his eyes stared fiercely at his uncle.

“Why did you not tell me we were going there?” Linvin demanded.  Anvar sighed.  “Just hear me out,” he pleaded with his palms outstretched.  “I did not originally plan to go there, but when I found out we were headed this way anyway, I realized it was a good opportunity to get some help that we could trust.” 

Linvin fumed, “Help?  Trust them?”

“They are family,” Anvar implored.

“Family does not treat one another as they have treated me!” Linvin snarled.

“Linvin, much time has passed and you are all adults now.  Do you not see that the odds of either one of us returning from this quest are low?  Two extra swords will double our chances.”

“They will double our chances of being stabbed in the back!” corrected Linvin.

Now Linvin could see why Anvar held back the information.  Had he known where they were headed, Linvin would not have come.

“So you just expect me to forget about all the years of fighting with them?” Linvin yelled as he pointed down the road.  “All the comments they have made!  All the vile things they have done to my parents and me!  You are asking me to forgive those who terrorized my childhood.  You are asking me to forgive those who would never forgive me.”

Anvar put his hand on Linvin’s shoulder and replied softly, “Yes I am, Linvin.  I am asking you to be the bigger man.  I am asking you to look at the bigger picture and let go of your hate.  I am asking you to offer them your hand in peace, knowing full well what has transpired between you.  Like it or not, you need them.  The master of the Red Sapphire will need to know how to swallow his pride for the greater good.”

“What you ask is not as simple as blowing out a candle,” Linvin stated as he looked into the distance to disguise a tear.  “They never gave me a chance.  I was never treated fairly.  You were there.  Do you not  understand why I hate them?”

“It is only natural that you hold resentment,” Anvar said while stroking his long, flowing beard.  “I bore witness to the reunions and holidays where you were mistreated.  I heard the horrible things said to your parents.  Your father, as you may recall, viewed them with the same contempt that you do.  Even I have been ashamed to call them family at times.  Still, they are family.  They are our one best hope of aid.  You must put your feelings aside and try to sway them to join us.”

No comments:

Post a Comment