Tuesday, September 8, 2015

New Excerpt


In a rocker near the door sat an old elf of unremarkable size

puffing a long pipe. His hair was that cross of silver and gray,

which proved to be so difficult to determine. A slowly sloping

beard extended from his face past his stomach. His stature was

small even by elf standards. The elf’s grand blue eyes were

captivated by the sunset over the city as seen through the orchards

in the back yard and did not notice Linvin’s entrance.

Linvin looked at the nearby table and found a tea setting with

one cup poured and another overturned on its saucer, waiting for

use. “No ale, Anvar?”

The elf’s concentration was broken, and he regarded Linvin. He

set his pipe down hastily and leapt to his feet. The two men

embraced for a long, respectful moment. Linvin held his closest

family member and dearest friend.

“My boy,” Anvar said with tears of joy. “It has been far too

long since we saw one another. I would offer you a pint of ale, but

that stubborn butler of yours refuses to tap a keg without your

permission.”

Linvin released his uncle and poured himself a cup of tea. “You

know better than to cross Theisen. This may be my home, but he

runs it his way. For right now, tea will suit me just fine.” Linvin

sat down in the rocker next to Anvar’s. The old elf returned to his

seat and pipe as a servant brought Linvin his own.

Once the servant had left, Linvin chided his uncle. “I say would

you be good enough to light this for me?”

Anvar looked humorously annoyed. “You do not need me to

light that, Boy.”

“Of course not,” Linvin agreed. “But it is more enjoyable to

watch you do it.”

Anvar squinted at his favorite nephew but could not help but

oblige him. He tapped his forefinger in midair and a small ray of

orange magic flew in a line directly to Linvin’s pipe and lit the

tobacco.

Linvin took a long drag and blew a smoke ring. Then he

dropped a lemon slice in his tea and took a sip. “Thank you for

that, Anvar. So tell me, what is new in Fraylic?”

Anvar relaxed and returned to his own pipe. “What can I say,

my boy? The money flows and the population grows. I imagine

business is good?”

“That would seem to be the case from the ledgers I have read. I

am auditing the main store and the company as a whole tomorrow

while meeting with the accountant and banker. After that, I have

an audience with the king and assembly to address some matters.”

Linvin stopped as if there was more to say but instead just drew on

his pipe and watched the sunset.

Anvar scrutinized him carefully. His jovial expression changed

just as his nephew’s had. Then he noticed the armor and sword.

“You have not worn arms since our return from our trek to the

north. What has happened?”

Linvin rubbed his face with his hand as he was prone to do

while searching for the right words. “I had another visitor the night

before leaving Missandor.”

Anvar’s face became solemn as he peered forward and spoke in

a low, monotone voice while rocking. “From your appearance

here, you are no worse for wear. Was it a male or female this

time?”

“Male.”

“Did you get a name?” asked Anvar.

“Five. That was all he would say. He made it all the way to my

bedroom.”

“That is the sixth assassin since our return,” Anvar noted. “Do

you have any idea whom we have to thank for all of the visitors?”

“I have many guesses,” Linvin answered. “Clearly, the same

party is behind them all. That party is well funded and obsessed

with killing me without stirring up trouble with Sartan. I know it

sounds insane, but this is just the line of thinking of Lord

Mandrean.”

“How can you say that?” queried Anvar. “We do not even know

who the new Lord Mandrean is or what he is like.”

“That, good uncle, is the insane part. It feels like the work

of Lord Mandrean the Thirteenth.”

“How could that be? You killed him in the valley. Maybe his

successor was like his father?”

“Perhaps,” Linvin said as he sipped his tea. “Something just

feels familiar about all this. I cannot shake this feeling that my old

nemesis haunts me still.” Both men were quiet for some time

before Theisen appeared in the doorway to announce that dinner

was served.

No comments:

Post a Comment