Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Sorting Out Windows 8

I’m still getting used to Windows 8.  About 3 months ago I had to finally replace my Windows Vista.  To its credit, it served me a long time and had been on life support for a while.  I naturally had to upgrade to Windows 8 and have been finding my way ever since.  As I went to click the icon to open Microsoft Word so I could write this I paused and realized I don’t know what half of the buttons on the home screen actually do.  If you have Windows 8 then hopefully I am not alone.  If you don’t have it then the best way I can describe it is it being like those fast food restaurant ordering systems where people used to input the parts of your order.  Now they just have pictures they push.  As with all things, it is probably easier to understand if you weren’t used to doing it another way before.  I have been bypassing the screen with the buttons and going straight to the desktop which looks just like the old Windows one.  Even on that screen, however, there are several icons that came preinstalled on the computer that I have yet to touch.  I tried a couple of them but it seemed like they were setting up programs I was unfamiliar with.  So I stopped.  I bought the warranty with this computer because I happen to believe in warranties.  I almost always get my money’s worth out of them.  This warranty came with its own antivirus program and support network.  When I figured in what I have been paying for antivirus over the years it nearly added up to the price of the warranty so the decision was even easier.  In the last seven years of having my old computer I had 1 virus while using the Norton Antivirus Software.  It cost $120 to have the virus removed at the time.  In the 3 months I have had this computer I have had 9 viruses!  At one point I had 3 in one week.  On the plus side, the service removes them for free.  This leaves me with several possible conclusions. 1) Norton just didn’t notice the viruses infecting my computer most of the time.  I find this unlikely because usually I notice the computer is acting strange even before the virus protection warns me.  2) Since Vista was such an old format the viruses were not aimed at it anymore in the way they would be with the current program.  Again, I find that unlikely.  In spite of the differences I have mentioned in the operating system, the basis of windows seems the same.  3) The new antivirus is more sensitive than Norton.  There is some credibility here.  The technicians fixing the problems have found a lot of “Bloat Ware” or unnecessary programs that have downloaded with program updates.  It’s kind of like getting a shot at the doctor where they put more than one medicine in the syringe.  The 4th possibility is that this antivirus protects as well as plastic wrap with holes in it.  Once again, there could be some merit there.  It’s great that they remove the virus for free but 9 in 3 months?  Something is amiss.  Am I the only one having these problems?  To quote Led Zeppelin, “...and it makes me wonder…”

No comments:

Post a Comment