Tuesday, July 29, 2014

It's Senior Picture Day

Well, the day has finally come that I talked about so long ago.  As I mentioned in a previous blog my daughter is having Senior Pictures taken.  Well over twenty odd years ago I was married.  That morning I woke up, took a shower and threw on some travelling clothes.  Then I went to McDonald’s for breakfast with my brother (Best Man).  After that we went to the church where the rest of our immediate family was and got dressed in our formal wear for the wedding.  The rest of our time was spent waiting around in rooms.  Apparently it was not so calm for my wife.  There was running around, hair appointments, nail appointments (Something went wrong somewhere in there) and there was a lot of yelling by people led by my bride.  At the hearing of the story I was so thankful I did not have to bear witness to the event.  Fast forward to now and it’s payback time.  My daughter and wife have made several long shopping trips to find outfits to wear for the pictures.  I have neither seen the outfits or been told how much they cost.  That always worries me just a little.  Today my daughter is running around getting “Things” she needs for her photo shoot at 5PM.  I have to repeat, I just don’t get it.  In Canada you came to school on picture day, they took your picture and that was it.  Either a lot has changed, I lived in a sheltered area, or its just different back here in the States.  It is such a production.  She has had to try on everything again and get her boyfriend’s opinion.  I never saw anything.  Apparently my point of view is unnecessary.  When this started my daughter said she wanted something simple where she would just wear an outfit and have her picture taken.  That was May.  We are now in late July and the picture (no pun intended) has changed.  Now there will be something like three wardrobe changes and then there are questions about backgrounds, indoor and outdoor, black and white pictures, special effects and props.  Everything we add makes the price go higher and higher.  It’s like in “Father of the Bride” where the daughter says she wants a simple, small wedding and it ends up being a huge, expensive affair.  I admit I am looking at the dollar signs and I should be in the “Whatever makes you happy” mode but we’re just talking about Senior Pictures. I mean is it that big a deal?  Maybe it’s only important for girls?  Then again, all the photo studios that sent us ads had lots of boy’s pictures displayed as well.  I promised I would not fuss or complain and my presence there is not required.  Perhaps that’s for the best.  Once again, I just don’t get it.  Just think, in five more years I get to do it all again with my more fussy daughter.  Maybe it will be cheaper with her. LOL Yeah, right.    

No comments:

Post a Comment