Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Wishing and Writing

There is a song by Pearl Jam called “Wishlist.”  It is simply a list of things they wish could happen.  There is a line in there I found painted a beautiful picture.  It goes, “I wish I was the full moon shining off a Camaro’s hood.”  Now that would be a site.  So I started thinking about the things I would wish for.  There are the standard things like wealth, good health, curing illness and disease and let’s throw in world peace to round it out.  After the obligatory wishes were done I started to think of all the frivolous things I would want.  I wish I had studied harder in school and learned more.  I wish I had taken a different major that paid better after graduation.  I wish I had never dated some of the girls I dated.  I wish I had been smart enough to marry my wife before I did.  I wish I had told off certain people long ago.  I wish I had a friend with the same political beliefs as me.  I wish I weighed less and was able to work out.  I wish my friends had happier lives and didn’t suffer so much.  I wish the people who start wars were the ones who had to fight them.  I wish my children could appreciate the sacrifices my wife and I have made over the years for them.  I wish they sold Mackinac Island Fudge ice cream where I live.  I wish I could have the feeling of watching a fireworks show happen whenever I wanted.  I wish I was a stronger person.  Then again, I wish I wasn’t so stubborn.  The nice thing about wishing is that it can be about everything.  Doing is a whole different list and is usually much shorter.  The glory of writing is that you can write about anything you want.  You can make your wishes come true through print.  One can create characters with none or your shortcomings or perhaps new ones you do not possess.  They can also have strengths you don’t or be weak where you are strong.  They can strive for things you wish you could have or turn away from what you have chosen.  There are no limits when you are looking at a blank screen or piece of paper.  One thing I am blessed with is creativity.  I am not strutting by any means but there are many I can safely say are less creative than me.  There are many that are more creative.  That’s okay.  I’m fine with that.  Writing is the one area of my life where I feel I am most in control and right where I need to be.  So if I had just one frivolous wish (not the cure cancer type) I would wish that one of my stories would touch another human being and make a positive difference in their life.  You never know.  The great thing about wishes is that once in a while they do come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment