Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Anvar: Pro or Con @Solsticepublish, @Solsticeshadows

I was reading an email from a fan that had read “Quest for the Red Sapphire” and was surprised to hear that the character they liked the least was Anvar Greenlith.  For those who don’t know, he is the protagonist’s (Linvin’s) uncle and mentor.  The message went on to say that he was overly critical of Linvin and needed to “get off his high horse.”  This person further added that Anvar was useless and just a nag throughout the story.  That is the thing I love about writing.  The same words mean so many different things to different people.  I, for one, have never felt Master Yoda in Star Wars was of any use.  He never gives a straight answer and usually has someone else do the dirty work.  That opinion has never been popular with Star Wars fans but I stand by it because that is the way I see the character.  It is not my intention to defend the character of Anvar because he is like a real person.  Some people will like him and others will not.  Like I said, I love that about writing.  If I were to describe Anvar for someone who had not read the book I would paint him as I envision him.  Anvar is Linvin’s maternal uncle and the only member of his family on good terms with him.  Since Linvin’s Father disappeared Anvar has taken on more of a parental guiding roll.  He is an older small elf though far from feeble.  Anvar may not physically be able to fight or perform the tasks of his nephews but he has magic that serves the party well in the quest.  He is a peacemaker between the warring cousins on the journey.  Anvar is particularly hard on Linvin.  There is no doubt about it.  While it might seem that he is overly critical, Anvar wants to set the bar higher for Linvin.  Only by rising to the challenges Anvar puts forth will Linvin prove his worth.  Is he overly critical?  Absolutely.  He was meant to be that way.  Some have compared him to Gandalf in “The Lord of the Rings” but the characters were never meant to be similar.  Anvar is teaching Linvin and trying to make him a better leader.  I find his roll to be distinct.  Now that I have said all of that I leave it up to you to decide what you think of him.  Does he help or just nag?  If you have read the book, let me know at rivalgates@hotmail.com.  If you haven’t read it then give it a try at  http://www.amazon.com/Quest-Red-Sapphire-Chronicles-ebook/dp/B00DZ100MO/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1403126907&sr=1-1&keywords=quest+for+the+red+sapphire

No comments:

Post a Comment