Wednesday, January 10, 2018

My Chewing Dog


So here I am; alone in the house.  Not a sound to be heard.  Every writer’s dream.  Yet all I can think about is how thankful I am that my lab puppy (75 lbs) didn’t chew any thing up today.  She’s a chewing monster.  She’s chewed through shoes, sandals, purses, jackets, toys, and even the wood leg on the bottom of my La-z-Boy.  At Christmas she chewed through the electrical cord from the tree to the wall!  She’s a nice dog and we love her very much but is this a phase that is ever going to end?  Or am I stuck forever placing my shoes and slippers on the dresser?  Our last dog lived for a while and we had a gap between dogs but I don’t remember this phase being so significant.  It’s gone on now for 5 months.  We get her bones and chew toys but nothing seems to taste as good as what she’s not allowed to have.  I’m at my wit’s end with this dog.  She’ll sit proudly by what she chewed through as if to say, “Look what I did all by myself!”  It isn’t done out of spite or malice.  She just likes to chew.  I guess all I can do is wait it out and keep putting things up.

Shoot!  She just chewed through my granddaughter’s favorite toy purse.   This is not going to go over well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment