Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Medical Bills


I knew it was coming.  It had been a long time so it had slipped to the back of my mind but I knew it was coming still.  The second part of the bill for my wife’s surgery last November arrived.  Like it contained the plague, I shuddered to open it.  When I saw the total I was floored.  What’s worse is the price it was before insurance.  Now it’s time to pay this at the expense of a credit card.  But this is but the set-up.  The knock out is yet to come.  My wife needs another surgery in May which should cost the same amount.  Before I begin my pity party, there are a lot of people who have it a lot worse than me.  When my Mother-in-law had brain cancer she needed a shot every month and that alone cost more than $1000 a piece with insurance.  Many people with health care are suffering from copays and deductibles.  That only refers to the people with insurance.  Those without insurance are in far worse straights.  They are charged with the whole bundle with no way to pay.  This is a broken system that can’t go on this way.  Congress needs to make a change for everybody so that a trip to the hospital doesn’t mean bankruptcy for some people.  I don’t propose to have the answers but we elect these people to look after our best interests and it’s time they did.  I’m not usually political but this one hits close to home.  That’s my opinion

No comments:

Post a Comment