Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Being Sick


It’s cold and flu season.  Millions of people are dealing with running noses, headaches, chest congestion, fever, throwing up, diarrhea and a host of other painful symptoms.  Every year I hear, “This year’s the worst” from people.  And to their credit, if you have some form of this affliction, that point of view is easy to see as you feel like death.  I’m sure you each have been through some form of this illness and can relate.  No I am not here to tell you of a miracle cure.  If I was I would be in the wrong business.  No I am here to announce that after all these months of staying healthy I am slowly succumbing to this mixed illness.  Right now it has struck my stomach and is churning it up to the point that I no longer wish to take food.  I have pressure in my head causing a nasty headache and chills are starting.  It doesn’t make any sense.  I received a flu shot, I take supplements including Vitamin C.  My diet includes fruit.  I try to stay away from sick people.  Yet here I am.  My body’s fighting it but it’s getting worse.  I went through the pharmacy and found no cures.  Then I was reminded of something the comedian Chris Rock once said.  To paraphrase, drug companies don’t make money by curing illnesses. They make money by treating illnesses.  That’s why their research is concentrated on treatments.  The worse I felt and the more sense it made.  Comment on what you think of that.  In the meantime, I’m going to get in bed.

Until next time.

 

Rival

No comments:

Post a Comment