Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Wednesday Excerprt, "Repercussions"


In the Commander’s Office of the Imperial Guard Barracks sat Commander Acreas at his desk with a feather, an ink well, and a pile of papers and scrolls. He was taller than Linvin and had a dominant physical presence, even among humans. Were he to stand, his intimidating stature would become most apparent. His long brown hair was bound together in the back making his strands pull tight against his head. Dressed in his fine uniform he cast a mighty shadow even from behind the desk. With his long sword beside him it was clear that paperwork was not one of his favorite duties.

There came a knock at the door. “Commander Acreas, it’s Captain Boshring. May I enter?”

Happy to have an excuse to end his task, Acreas set down his feather and answered, “Do come in, Boshring.”

In walked a man who was still imposing, but did not cut the broad lines of his muscular leader. “Commander, I have news for you.”

“We are alone, Boshring. There is no need for titles. What news brings you here with such zeal, My Friend?”

“Firstly, I have had all the Imperial Guard Captains recalled to the capital and given time consuming duties as per your instructions. I have also moved as many guards into the city as the barracks can hold. The remainder are camped outside the city. I told the men there might be a threat to the Emperor and that was why they were here. In all, nearly 90 percent of the Guard is in and around the city.”

“Excellent,” Acreas said as he sat back. “You are sure the other captains will follow me if the emperor dies?”

Boshring nodded, “They are with you so long as you do not betray your oath and kill your father yourself. They would see that as a lack of worthiness on your part.”

Acreas took to his feet and swept the papers from his desk in a violent stroke. Then he drew his sword and watched it as the light danced across the blade. “My Father. If he would only admit to being that, this coup would not be necessary. He thinks he is so smart by denying my birthright and keeping me here to watch over. The only ones more incompetent than him, are his spies. Oh what I would give to be the one to ram this steel through his heart. Alas, that is not to be. Is there any word on Grithinshield yet?”

“That is the other part of my news, Acreas. The frost is nearly upon us and still there is no sign of Grithinshield. For this plan to work, we need him to kill your father. The Emperor is angered by the long delay and has sent for Anvar Greenlith to see him in his courtroom. I thought you would want to know.”

Acreas looked sharply at Boshring and replaced his sword in its scabbard. “I must be the one to take Greenlith there. It is my only chance to question him. Has anyone else been dispatched to get him?”

“A squad of goblins was sent, but you still have time to intercept them.”

No comments:

Post a Comment