Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Tuesday Excerpt, "Revenge"


Rander could restrain himself no longer and stood in front of

Linvin. “This is a suicide trip, Linvin. You cannot possibly save

Anvar and return. You are riding head first into death with your

eyes wide open. Can you not see the futility of your endeavor? We

stand here and act like you are going on a trading mission when

you go to certain demise. There must be a better way.”

“If there is one, I have not thought of it,” Linvin sighed. “I hear

your words, and there is logic to be found. But this is Uncle Anvar

we are talking about. How many times did he come through for

us? What about all the times he saved our lives? Think of all the

wisdom he has imparted to us over the years. Remember all the

fights between us he stopped?

“Since the loss of my father so many years ago he has filled that

role as my mentor. He even visited me when I was sent to Valia.

That man means more to me than anyone on Lavacia, and his life

is in my hands. How could I not go? If I must give my life so he

will live, I will do it. Does he mean so little to you that you would

not do the same?”

“You know he is as dear to us as he is to you,” Rander snapped

back. “It may sound strange hearing me saying this, but you have

come to mean just as much to us. In spite of all we did to you and

the way we treated you throughout your life, you gave us another

chance and made us better men in the process. Now we have more

than just a living but also a future. You are important, Linvin. In

some ways, you are more important than Uncle Anvar.

“We depend on him. To lose him would devastate the three of

us. But you, Linvin, you were chosen by the Red Sapphire to make

the difference for this entire world. We would feel the sting of

your loss first. You have told me the gem informed you of dark

times ahead. Evil greater than any the world has seen is coming.

How many people will suffer or die without you to fulfill your

mandate? The free world is depending on you and as much as it

pains me to say it, you are more important to the masses than

Anvar could ever be. You speak of logic. Even if Mandrean comes

after us or our mother as you predicted, our lives are still not worth

losing you. Do not go, Linvin. Your death will help no one as they

will likely kill Uncle Anvar anyway.”

Linvin ran his hand through his hair as he was prone to do when

frustrated. “You know, Anvar once told me a person must look at

themselves in the mirror and like who they see. Your actions

define who you become and your opinion of yourself. Even though

everything you have said is true, how could I look myself in the

mirror and like a man who chose to allow his uncle to be killed

when there was a chance to save him? After that, how could I face

my reflection after the rest of my family was systematically

erased?

“Do you not think I have examined this problem from every

possible angle? If there was another way, I would do it. Until the

situation changes, however, I must go, and I do not have time to

waste.”

“So everyone you were meant to help with the Red Sapphire is

on his own,” Rander remarked bitterly. “We all went on that quest

and suffered so you could throw your life away. Staying here is not

a selfish act. It is the wisest move. Uncle Anvar would say the

same if he were here. Are you so blinded by guilt that you will

walk off a cliff?”

Linvin placed his hand on his cousin’s shoulder. “Let me ask

you this, Rander. If Mandrean was holding your mother and

offered the same terms, would you not go?”

“That is not the same thing,” Rander said as he shook Linvin.

“My loss would not impact hundreds of thousands of lives. Your

loss would snuff out the lone beacon on a starless night.”

“It is the same,” Linvin corrected as he pulled away. “You may

not possess my power, but you touch more lives than you can

imagine. We both know you would be on a horse headed north

with all due haste if your mother hung in the balance. That is my

intent as well. Anvar is like a father to me, and I will not forsake

him.”

No comments:

Post a Comment