Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Tuesaday Excerpt, "Revenge"


Lord Mandrean walked hurriedly down the illustrious halls of

Marinhalk. Four soldiers of his imperial guard marched in tow.

Though the emperor’s mind focused on the health of General

Gramlick, he could not help but notice the flamboyant decorative

uniform of one of his guards. Falling back into the middle of the

group he sneered and commented. “It has been nearly two weeks

since I gave you the title of Commander of the imperial guard,

Acreas. Do you not think it is time to return to your normal

uniform?”

Commander Acreas was in front of his master but could display

his fiendish grin without fear of retribution. “This is a dream I

have worked hard to fulfill. In only two years as a member of the

guard, I have risen to become its leader. While Your Eminence

was the one who gave me my insignia, it was only after I had

defeated all challengers in the jousting tournament. This rank was

earned. I should think you would be pleased. Clearly my superior

breeding has produced a finely honed weapon in your arsenal.”

Mandrean begrudged every word knowing that Acreas was his

illegitimate son through Betrimpia, his first of over one-hundred

concubines. Everyone knew the lineage to be true. The emperor

simply would not acknowledge the boy’s birthright publicly for his

own reasons. “I care nothing for your ‘breeding’.” Mandrean

fibbed. “Your mother is the most annoying, bull-headed woman I

have ever known. Since you were old enough to walk, you have

had the most prized tutors and instructors in the empire.

Considering nearly all of the senior guardsmen were lost in

Trader’s Alley, it would have been stunning if you had not won the

contest for leadership.

“I still recall the gloating expression on your mother’s face

when you were given this command. She had the cold, wicked

glare of someone who had won a bet and was going to let her

money ride. To an emperor with a new commander of the guard,

that was a worrisome look. The guard’s main purpose, after all, is

to protect me against all others. Is this so with you and your men?”

Acreas could see the distrust in the emperor’s face as he

glanced back. The entire situation was a game to the youngest man

ever to be commander of the guard. He viewed his father with

contempt and hatred. Acreas had no delusions that the man he

served was anywhere close to his intellectual equal. Thus, the

game continued.

“You have sent me to every battle since I joined the guard, and

the men trust me. They have sworn to follow my commands. In the

same way I have sworn to follow your orders, My Emperor.”

Acreas nodded his head with the statement.

Mandrean’s temper raged as he spun his commander around by

the shoulder and held the Blue Sapphire before his eyes. “Do not

toy with me, Child. I could destroy you with a single movement.

There is a voice in my head saying that would be wise. So test my

patience no further. Is everyone in the guard sworn to obey and

protect me?”

Acreas knew his father’s temper and unpredictability and

decided to end the game for now. He bowed in a humble manner

and gestured to the other guards to follow suit. “Fear not, My lord.

We have all sworn to live and die by your word.”

Mandrean’s nostrils flared as his anger continued to quell.

“Before we reconvene in the throne room, I want you in your

normal uniform, commander. Is that clear?”

“Perfectly,” Acreas answered. They resumed their journey

down the hall.

The men turned down a lavish corridor where his generals were

quartered and went to its end. Two men were coming out of the

last door in the hall. Mandrean recognized them as his personal

physician and Lord Gramlick’s physician.

No comments:

Post a Comment