Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Tuesday Excerpt, "New"


Necromancer’s face changed to a combination of anger and

despair. “Even my best efforts have not been able to rid me of this

curse,” Necromancer continued as he hovered over the floor. “The

sicknesses he has contracted over the years did not prove fatal. The

wars he’s fought have yet to claim his life. Assassins I could have

warned him about always missed their target. Even Linvin

Grithinshield failed me. If I had been able to wait a few more

moments before checking the emperor’s body in the Valley of

Broken Soldiers, it could have been over two years ago.”

“I surely thought I had Mandrean when Grithinshield fought

him. That was my best opportunity yet. I would be free. But

Grithinshield did not finish his work. I was so close, but the child

failed me. It is hopeless, my apprentice. I am doomed to toil here

until old age takes the emperor or I wander into oblivion.”

Mordane moved closer and brought his master a drink.

“Perhaps Grithinshield could fight him again? He seems most able

and could easily defeat the emperor.”

“Do you not think I have considered that?” erupted

Necromancer. “I know how powerful Linvin is. Unfortunately, so

does Mandrean. He won’t lock horns with Grithinshield again in

person. Instead, he will continue to rely on his network of

assassins to try to eliminate the nuisance.

“Still, Grithinshield is the best chance I have. The problem is

finding a way to get him to fight Mandrean. Or perhaps I should

say, getting Mandrean to fight him. Clearly, Mandrean is the one

afraid and with good reason.”

“Well.” said Mordane. “From what you have said in the past,

Grithinshield won’t likely be leaving Sartan any time soon, and the

emperor certainly cannot go there. That would mean that

Grithinshield would have to be forced to come here again, and that

would be quite a challenge.”

There came a knock on the door. It was the imperial page again.

The terrified man was relieved to see Mordane answer the door.

He delivered his message so quickly that it was nearly

indistinguishable. “Please tell Lord Necromancer that General

Gramlick has died, and the emperor wishes to reconvene the

meeting in the throne room at once.” With that, the man turned

with all speed and ran back down the hall.

As the door closed, Necromancer’s sorrowful tone turned to

one of rejoicing. “It took time, but the creeping death enchantment

I placed on Gramlick finally overcame him. Now the emperor has

no one in his ear but me. Finally, something is going my way.”

“He still has Fendri,” Mordane noted.

“Mandrean gives no weight to his opinion. He is no threat to

my plans.”

Necromancer placed his hands behind his back and paced. He

sighed greatly and searched for an answer. Tenuous moments

passed as the two thought through scenario after scenario.

“The first thing I must do is convince Mandrean to fight Linvin

again. The problem therein is that the emperor is a coward at heart.

Mandrean would never be drawn into a battle with him again

because he knows he could not win even when he fought without

honor. His confidence must be raised. The only way to do that is

for him to possess the blue staff for his sapphire. Without it, he

cannot equal Linvin’s magic. That is the mental edge he needs for

a confrontation.”

“Would that make him too powerful?” Mordane inquired.

“Perhaps if he had the staff he would be able to beat Grithinshield.

Then we would be right back here again.”

It was at that moment that Necromancer stopped and said,

“Mandrean is more devious, but Linvin is simply brilliant. With

their magic being equal, the fight would once again come down to

the better warrior winning. If the fight is fair, Linvin will win

easily. If it is not fair, Mandrean has a reasonable chance. That is a

chance I must take. Linvin is still my best opportunity to rid

myself of my master. He could prevail only with suitable

motivation. Mandrean has many flaws, but he is vicious and

single-minded enough to be difficult to defeat. Linvin would need

to be enraged.”

No comments:

Post a Comment