Saturday, October 10, 2015

Saturday Excerpt, "Quest"


“It was my understanding that we would be using some discretion during this journey.  Does your cape not draw unwanted attention to us?”

Linvin looked over his shoulder at his cape and conceded, “I will grant you that it is hard to ignore, but I will wear it all the same.

“Your words are not so dissimilar from those of my subordinate generals when I would wear this into battle in Valia.  They pleaded with me not to wear it because it made me stand out from the men and become a target for the enemy, but when my men were fighting for their lives, they would look up and see that cape in amongst them; their fear dissolved and they fought beyond their skill.  They knew I was there with them and that I would protect them.  Likewise, when I wore the cape, I knew they would protect me as a brother.  That made my fear dissipate as well.  So it is hard to say whether I wore it more to ease their fear or mine, but whichever the answer, I wear it now.”

“Perhaps it will bring us luck in our quest,” Anvar suggested.

“Speaking of that,” Linvin commented, “imagine the luck of the staff coming to my father, when the Red Sapphire was meant for his very own son.  Of all the people in this world, it came to him.”

“It was not luck, Linvin.  I firmly believe that everything that happens in this world has some reason.  There is a sense of purpose which drives the mundane events of your life and guides you to a conclusion.”

“Please spare me your destiny talk again, Anvar.  I do not believe in anything that predisposes your actions away from freewill.  It was my choice to go on this quest, it was not predestined.”

“You think so, do you?” asked Anvar.  “Think of the steps to get where we are now.  Your father acquired the staff.  He sent you to the perfect place to train as a general and leader of men, the very qualities needed to make best use of the Red Sapphire.  Your father died, prompting your return at the perfect time to solidify your fortune so that you need not worry about finances in your absence.   

You would never have taken up the quest if your mother had not been killed, making your departure necessary.  The assassin did not gain hold of the staff and key or kill me.  That enabled you to take up the quest.

“Do you still see no sense of purpose in all of that?  All of those events happened for a reason.   You were meant to take up the quest and find the Red Sapphire.  The fact that so many events happened so close together leads me to believe that someone else is close to finding it.  That someone is not meant to have it, you are!”

“And what would happen,” Linvin asked, “if the wrong person found the gem first?”

Anvar shook his head.  “It is hard to say, but the end could not be good.  Do you remember your father’s bedtime stories?”

No comments:

Post a Comment