Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Tueday Excerpt, "New"


Anvar smiled and gestured to his sofa. “There is nothing to

forgive. How you keep your sanity with the people of this city, I

will never understand. Let me take your cape while you have a

seat.” As Linvin removed his cape, it exposed only clothing on his

back.

“Linvin, the staff is not on your back or in your hand. Where is

the Red Sapphire?”

“I didn’t want the added attention the stone brings, so I left it at

home today,” Linvin said as he sat.

“How many times have I told you never to leave its presence? It

is your responsibility to keep it with you at all times. What if an

emergency arose and you needed it? You would be in trouble.”

“Well, I still have the magic I have stored.”

“That’s not good enough,” Anvar ranted. “You and the Red

Sapphire are one. You should always carry it with you.”

“My apologies.”

“Apologize to the staff, my boy. It will be quite indignant about

you leaving it behind. Speaking of that, you also left your armor

and Falconfeather at home. After all the assassination attempts,

how can you go about so unprepared?”

“I have nothing to fear here in Fraylic,” Linvin noted as he sat

rigidly.

“Your mother thought that as well, and you remember what

became of her. You need to take greater care, my boy.”

Anvar went to the kitchen and used his magic to superheat

water in his teapot. Then he added the tea and let it brew. He cut

the bread and placed it with the honey on the serving tray. Then he

carried the tray to the table in front of the sofa.

“By the way,” Anvar inquired, “when did we become so

formal? You have not referred to me as ‘Uncle Anvar’ in private

since you were a child.”

Linvin fidgeted for a moment before speaking. “Just trying to

give you the respect you deserve, Anvar.”

“Well, don’t. I feel old enough as it is without being constantly

reminded of my age. Come, have some tea with me. You must be

tired after your trip and the audit. Would you like some lemon in

your cup?”

“No, thank you, Anvar, lemon is too bitter for my taste.”

Anvar paused a moment and then said, “Silly me for forgetting.

Just like last night when you told me you no longer enjoyed bread

dipped in honey.”

“Exactly,” Linvin said. “Tastes change.”

Anvar poured the tea and spoke in an untrusting voice. “I will

check on dinner. Enjoy this while I am away.”

As Linvin sipped, he looked about once again. “You’ve really

done a first rate job fixing your home after the mess the assassins

made a couple of years ago. It looks like it was never touched.”

Anvar had reached the kitchen and began to pull down all his

cutting and butchering knives from where they hung. He lined

them on the cutting board. “It was so good of you to help me

straighten after we returned from our trip. Your help was

invaluable.”

“Thanks,” Linvin responded as he sat his cup on the tray.

“Speaking of what we went through back then and the

assassination attempts, I have reconsidered some things. For one, I

don’t believe the staff for the Blue Sapphire is safe with you

anymore. With my power, I can keep it secure far better.”

No comments:

Post a Comment