Tuesday, May 12, 2015

New Edits


If I were a baker I would love baking the cake from scratch.  It is the decorating and finishing I would find tedious.  I adore writing books.  It is the most fun thing in the world to me.  Editing is not.  I have the manuscript for my third book, “Mandrean Revenge” (I get excited just saying the name.)  It is now time to edit.  You would think after so much writing I wouldn’t have many corrections but I would be wrong in that thinking.  Perhaps it’s good to have so many errors found.  That means fewer were missed and it wouldn’t need to be re-edited like the first books.  On the other hand, some of these “corrections” are simply wrong.  For example, the name of the gem IS the Red Sapphire.  That’s not a description.  It’s a title.  Likewise, its counterpart is the Blue Sapphire.  They need to be capitalized.  The editor unknowingly took the capitals out of the entire book.  That’s a lot of fixing on my part.  To be fair though, most of the corrections needed are my fault.  It’s not easy to see your work pulled apart but it makes you a better writer.  Constructive criticism is a very effective learning tool.  This editor seems civil and that makes the whole process much easier to handle when someone is basically insulting your baby.  (See previous blogs on the subject)  So in my spare time I will be sifting through the edits and correcting what is needed.  What’s important is that when I’m done, my third book will be ready to publish.  The hairs on my neck stand on end just thinking about it.  Until then I will decorate my cake and take the time to do it right, even though I just want it to be iced and done.  Time to get back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment