Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Building a Fence


My wife has wanted a fence for a long time in our back yard.  We have a grand-daughter who is over quite a lot and she brings her dog along.  The neighbors’ children also have a habit of running through our yard and it’s quite annoying.  After debating this for 3 years and doing some saving we have finally decided to put up a 6 foot privacy fence.  We are having plastic fencing put up because my health restricts me from bending and painting that wood requires on occasion.  Being the king of research, I solicited bids from 4 companies.  Then I chose one and sent the proposal to our HOA for approval.  After they signed off I gave the company a deposit and waited.  And waited.  And waited.  It has been over a month that they have had my money and there is no sign of them coming.  When I call them I am told there has been too much rain to dig fence post holes.  As of today they say it will be at least another 2 weeks.  I understand delays but this is ridiculous.  I talked to our neighbor who had his fence put in at Christmas time and he said that it was originally planned for fall but there was too much rain.  He had to wait months.  Let’s hope I don’t have that problem.  Where’s all this rain coming from?  This is Nebraska, not Seattle.  In the meantime, I can’t help but worry that they will drill through my underground sprinklers, or cable wires (they aren’t marked by the city), or build over the property line.  It seems like a lot of hassle and expense for such a simple thing.  It’s a good thing I have writing to work on to distract me during this time.  Even so, every week the frustration mounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment