Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Hoping for David Eddings


Here it is; Christmas Eve and I still have so much to do.  One thing I was able to strike off my list last night was seeing “The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies.”  You will get no spoilers here but I can safely say the movie didn’t disappoint.  That being said, the purest in me was still baffled by the excess content added by Peter Jackson to make one book into three but I could only hope to have someone do that with my books one day.  It was a great movie and I would see it again today if time permitted.  One thing I hope to find under my tree tomorrow is books.  I particularly would like to read more by David Eddings.  He is an unsung hero in the fantasy genre and helped pave the way for people like me.  I have read his first book, “Pawn of Prophecy” and look forward to reading the rest of the series as well as his other works.  He has a totally different writing style than I do and that alone keeps my interest.  His characters are fallible like any other person and easy to relate to as you read.  Fantasy is such a wonderful field to read because anything can happen.  Characters can be of any race or have any special abilities.  The limits really are your imagination.  I was asked the other day about science fiction and which I liked better.  I love science fiction but there are times it either makes no sense to me or simply makes my brain hurt. (I still don’t think I have all the nuances of “2001, A Space Odyssey” figured out.)  With fantasy I always feel like I’m coming home.  These days the lines have become blurred between the fields as evaluators seek to classify books and movies.  The way I like to think of it is this:  If there is a robot or computer in it then it is not likely fantasy.  One the other hand, if there is magic in it, it not science fiction.  People can argue those definitions but they tend to ring true.  So with the big day around the corner I am hoping for some fantasy or science fiction but really hope for more works by Mr. Eddings.  He could be next in line for the cinema.   

No comments:

Post a Comment