Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Twitter Stalkers


At first, Twitter seemed so simple.  You follow someone, they follow you back and you’re able to see each other’s posts.  It seemed harmless enough.  I began the habit of following back most of the people who followed me.  I figured, “This person might like what I write and buy a book.”  Lately though I’ve been getting a lot of follows from young women.  I was glad because that was an audience I wasn’t sure I was reaching.  My happiness was short-lived.  I started getting direct messages asking personal questions.  Was I looking for love?  Was I married?  Was I interested in getting married?  What kinds of girls did I like? Some wanted a serious relationship and others wanted…something less serious.  I used to get these once in a while but now they’re coming every day in increasing numbers.  Did I get on some sort of list?  Maybe I followed the wrong person back and everyone is copying their friends list.  One thing’s for sure; these women aren’t interested in books!  I am happily married with three children, two dogs and a cat who doesn’t like me.  Now I’m afraid to follow people back on Twitter.  From some of the guys I’m getting sent scams.  “The government will pay you $40,000 to write a book.  I got mine.  I can get you in touch with the guy to get you yours.”  Or then there’s “I’m a Marine on a peacekeeping mission and I need you to wire me some money.”  Maybe I’m paranoid but it all seems fishy to me.  It’s getting to the point where I don’t know who to follow back.  I guess I’ll go with my gut and hope this cycles off.

No comments:

Post a Comment