Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Running the Table


I once was told the best song writers are poets.  I was a drummer and tried my best to write songs.  An important thing became clear to me…I’m no poet.  Reflection on that time long ago leads me to wonder…what makes a great writer?  I have given the matter some deep thought.  I drank an entire soda while contemplating the issue.  How many times have you started a book and found yourself part way in before asking yourself, “Why am I reading this?  This is boring.”  Sadly, I have felt this way many times.  Then I harkened back to something my late father told me.  He was a writer and editor.  It was his opinion that the best writers were storytellers.  I came from a large family where family gatherings were crowded. (I think I would still sit at the kid’s table if I were to go.)  During and after the meal stories would be exchanged on everything from politics to religion.  It was always quite clear who knew how to tell a good story and who did not.  My father always captured the attention of the entire table when he spoke.  I called it, “Running the Table” I never appreciated his skill while I was young but in my later years learned it and was a hit at parties and get-togethers for me.  Fortunately, I managed to express my appreciation of his skill before his death.  But the memories proved his point.  The best writers are good storytellers.  They know how to captivate an audience, when to pause, and when to lead you along.  Those are books you don’t want to put down.  They’re the ones you recommend to friends.  Thank goodness Dad spoke loud enough for me to hear him at the kid’s table.   

No comments:

Post a Comment