Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Detail


The cursor blinks on the white screen.  It’s waiting; no, taunting me to type.  And so, I begin.  Not long ago someone told me that I put too much detail in my books.  At first the comment stung.  I take great pride in providing detail for my readers.  One of the things I hate in a novel is too little detail.  I’ll read books where you have no idea what the room looks like or how the character is feeling.  As a writer, I like to set the stage for my readers.  I want them to be able to imagine a room to its smallest detail and know exactly what’s going on with the character.  The details bring the story to life.  I’m not holding back your imagination.  I’m giving it more fodder to create an image.  I looked through my reviews and could find no examples of readers disenchanted by my attention to detail.  It’s kind of like saying there’s too much cheese on your pizza.  Unless you’re lactose intolerant you can’t have too much cheese on your pizza.  Likewise, unless you lack the patience to read the details they only add to the story.  Perhaps there are different points of view out there.  If you feel differently then let me know.  I love to hear from my fans.  Until next time, love what you read and read what you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment