Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Excerpt, "Sapphire Crucible"


Necromancer hovered down lavish halls and then descended into the bowels of the palace where rough stone lined the walls and there was a slow, constant stream of water running along the edge of the floor. He reached the end of a long hallway where a sign hung beside a door of no great significance. The sign read, ‘Imperial Magician’s Quarters’. Necromancer gestured with his hand and the door swung open. He entered the room and closed the door behind him.

He was in a dimly lit workshop with bookshelves and bins filled with scrolls lining every bit of wall. In the center of the room was a grand table with scrolls open in no particular pattern covering its entire surface. Seated at the table was a demure human male little bigger than Necromancer. He had been studying a text by candlelight, as there were no windows in the former dungeon to spread light.

Upon seeing Necromancer he jumped to his feet and stood at attention. The great wizard hovered to the chair and sat. He hung his head in his hands and remained silent.

“My Lord Necromancer. I take it today’s events did not unfold as we had hoped?” the man asked.

Necromancer lifted his head and looked at the man with sarcasm. “Does anything seem different to you?”

“Forgive my question Great One. I had such hopes.”

Necromancer’s eyes began to sparkle once again. “Do not fret Mordane. There is still quite a bit of good news. Our Dear Lord Mandrean now has the Blue Sapphire. It is up to us to fashion an instrument for him to use its power. We must accomplish this within two days.

“While I require no sleep, you will be forced to work this grind with me until our task is completed. You can sleep when this is over.”

“As always, My Master, I am here to serve your every need,” Mordane said with his head bowed low.

Necromancer took hold of the man’s shoulder and shook it gently. “Through all of these years, you have been my finest assistant. The day will come when your allegiance will be rewarded.”

Mordane nodded and said, “Tell me the first thing you require from me in this task.”

No comments:

Post a Comment