Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Your Music


Every age bracket has their own music.  My mother was a very astute woman.  Before I went to college she told me the music I like in high school and college will be the music I like for the rest of my life.  It turned out to be true.  Sure, I have added some bands since then but the core of my music has stayed the same.  I thought my music was great.  Then on spring break I played a piece for my father in which Mr. Edward Van Halen was shredding the guitar.  I thought it was amazing.  He thought it was noise.  He proceeded to put on his Frank Sinatra instead.  That’s what he grew up with and my music was untalented garbage to him.  At the time, it bothered me.  In retrospect, it was just too much change for him.  I was riding today with my 16-year-old daughter who had control of the radio.  None of the songs had instruments.  It was all syncopated sound.  Then they had to keep bleeping parts out of the songs.  One song went, “You gotta go get her cause she dance like a stripper, You gotta go tip her cause she dance like a stripper.”  The song just went on like that.  I don’t have a leg to stand on here because some of the songs I like are pretty bad but I never felt they were so out in the open in their depravity.  My daughter loves this new music and tolerates some of my songs.  I hate to be my father but the singers don’t even write their songs.  They can’t play instruments.  And they all sound the same.  A girl sings for a minute and then a rapper comes in.  Then it’s back to the girl.  The formula seems to work because everyone is doing it.  What’s the point of all this?  Writing is very similar to music.  There are different topics and writing styles.  I’ve read works that I loved and other ones that really offended me.  It all depends on your audience.  That’s the ultimate judge.  If they buy it, you must be doing something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment