Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Buying a Dog


I tell you my youngest daughter (16) is going to grow up to be a litigator.  She has wanted her own dog for the last 5 years.  We already have a Dachshund but the little thing is bound to my wife and shows little love to anyone else.  My daughter wants a dog to love HER.  It has been at the top of every Christmas list and Birthday Present list for 5 years.  We keep saying no because we already have a dog that was left with us by our son.  I wasn’t too happy about that.  I like dogs.  I just want to choose one when I want.  Finally, by Father’s Day my daughter had found a 7-month-old German Shepherd at the Animal Rescue.  She had gotten everyone else in the family on board with this dog except me.  So here I am getting home from work on my big day and this bomb is dropped on me.  In truth, I’m not a huge German Shepherd fan.  I like more Golden Retrievers and Beagles.  I was shown the picture of the shepherd and told all the stories including the promises that my daughter would take care of it.  My daughter argued like she was trying to win a case and in the end, she did.  I couldn’t object any longer.  It even occurred to me that this would be good for her.  So, I gave it my blessing.  All that was left was for the two dogs to meet the next day which seemed like a formality.  I went to work and came home expecting to see a cute 60 pound German Shepard waiting for me.  The dog wasn’t there.  When I asked what happened she said our Dachshund wouldn’t turn and let the Shepherd sniff its butt.  That showed aggressive behavior and therefore we were disqualified from adopting it.  If I were a dog I wouldn’t let some strange dog sniff my butt either.  As for aggressive behavior, he weighs 10 pounds!  What’s he going to do to a big dog like that?  Apparently, there was no point in arguing.  The decision had been made by the Humane Society and we couldn’t adopt.  What’s the point of all this?  Sometimes you have to let your pride take a hit in order to get what you want.  Even if that means someone sniffing your butt.

No comments:

Post a Comment