Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Going Off Script


As many of you know I use an outline or script if you will to write my books.  But sometimes, infrequently, I come up with an idea and go off script.  It happens when I have an idea that is so good that it simply must  be part of the story.  The problem is like having a long piece of licorice.  If you want to insert another piece how do you it and still have a solid piece of licorice?  That’s what it’s like as a writer adding to a story that has already been laid out.  You scour the story and look for a place to insert the piece.  In my particular case, the addition is a person.  That means introducing her and writing her in at various parts of the story.  That’s a lot of splicing licorice.  This gives ammunition to the people who say not to write an outline at all.  I respect them and their opinions.  For me, however, every time I try that, I always leave out an important detail.  Then I have to go back and fit it in.  I don’t know how others write on the fly.   It is a gift I simply don’t possess.  I currently have a great idea.  Now I’m standing at the long rope licorice with a razor blade asking if I really want to chop up perfect piece or let it be.  It’s a tormenting decision.



No comments:

Post a Comment