Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Excerpt, "Repercussions"


Necromancer was the first to appear from the stairwell. He ordered the goblin guards to wait there. As the Court Magician hovered over to Anvar’s cell with his arms pulled into the sleeves of his white robe with scarlet trim, he lowered his head and sighed. “My Dear Chess Adversary. It would seem our games and conversations are at an end. As you have no doubt guessed, it frosted last night and there is no sign of Linvin.

“I am surprised by his inaction. I am rarely wrong about a person’s demeanor, but there is little in the Territory he could not handle and we know he entered the Territory some months ago. The only sound reason for his not being here by now is that he wanted you removed as an obstacle to his success. He was always a brilliant tactician, though I would never say it to his face, but I never would have guessed he would sacrifice you. Since childhood you are the closest thing he has known to a father. It is good we did not wager on this.

“I had hoped Linvin would show for the engagement for various reasons. Either Mandrean would be dead or I would have to remain his servant for the rest of his mortal life. It is such a pity your nephew’s good sense made him forget sentimentality and think of himself. With you out of the picture, he might come and give me what I want after all.”

Anvar stood directly across from him on his side of the cell. “Linvin might still show and fail. You said yourself that you doubted even Linvin could best Mandrean’s plan. If that happened, you would still be nothing but a servant.”

“I sense a proposition about to be made,” Necromancer remarked with skepticism. “You do remember I cannot disobey my bumbling master, Lord Mandrean.”

“That is not my intent. I am to be killed, but there is no saying how. Convince Mandrean to perform the act slowly. Give Linvin more time.”

Necromancer was taken aback by the offer. “You want me to convince Mandrean to slowly kill you? Surely you realize this will mean prolonged agony for you?”

“I know the ramifications.”

Necromancer nodded his head and the cell door opened. “Your faith in your nephew is misplaced. You are opening yourself up for torture with little chance of salvation. Perhaps you are too much of a martyr to suit me.”

“It is true that I believe in Linvin. As for being a martyr, it would mean I would have to die, and I have no intent on doing so.”

No comments:

Post a Comment