Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Today's Rant


This may not be my most popular blog of the year but it reflects how I feel.  Too many people are going around calling themselves “Experts” when their claim is built on weak credentials.  According to the dictionary, “The definition of expert is someone who is very skillful or has advanced training and knowledge in a particular area or field.”  I constantly get emails from people who have published a book and want me to pay them to help me write one myself.  Not to brag but I have 4 books published.  Why do I need their help?  And of course, they all call themselves experts.  I freely admit that I learn something new with each book.  If you aren’t learning even when you reach that golden plateau we all dream about, then you are just kidding yourself.  I learn from other authors and editors.  I learn from fans and try to remain humble.  But I couldn’t stay silent anymore after 4 more expert emails today.  It’s like someone making a cake once and then going on television and telling people they’re an expert cake maker.  There just isn’t enough evidence to support the claim.  I can’t help it.  I don’t like the word “Expert” being thrown around by people highly unlikely to deserve it at this point in their career.  That’s my rant.  Peace, out.

No comments:

Post a Comment