Tuesday, October 25, 2016

It's All About Business


I started writing like most authors.  I had dreams writing my stories, getting them published and becoming a famous author.  That could still happen but I discovered there was a huge element I never considered; business.  Writing is about business.  Give the reader what they want.  They don’t want 500 page books.  They want books with strong female protagonists.  They want sex scenes.  They want books around 200 pages.  They want romance.  I reflected and found my books had almost none of these factors.  So I continued to write the books the way I planned.  It was too late to change something I’ve had planned for 30 years.  Then promotion came into it.   There were blog appearances to make.  Summaries to write, interviews to do, and people to find to do reviews.  Fantasy is not the most popular category right now because its fans often would rather play a video game than pick up a book.  I do not fault them for that. I just have to draw their interest for my books.  The business part isn’t all bad.  It’s exciting to see yourself in a blog or read a positive review on line.  But make no mistake about it, the business end is what it’s all about and it’s hard work.  Your publisher will give a certain amount of help but in the end it’d up to you how badly you want to succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment