Wednesday, June 8, 2016

I Need A Pen


Is it too much to ask for a pen that writes?  How many times have you gotten a phone call and gone through pen after pen just trying to find one that works.  It can drive you mad.  Right now I’m staring at 5 different pens and I would be surprised if more than one worked.  Still, there they sit.  Think of your closet and those clothes that no longer fit.  Yet we keep them around with that faint hope that we will fit in them again.  Think of your cds.  How many have scratches on them and are unlistenable?  If you’re like me there are quite a few.  In fact, every cd I ever brought in my car is scratched.  In spite of trying different cleaners the scratches remain.  So I throw them out; right?  No.  I just hold onto them for some strange reason.  And let’s not forget the stacks of video tapes in the basement.  Even though I still have a vcr (yes, I’m old) to play them on, I never watch the tapes and will probably never watch them again.  Nevertheless, they sit on shelves and gather dust.  How many times have we held onto cars that needed to be traded in?  They had turned into money pits and there was no end in sight.  Still, for some reason, we kept the car.  Is it laziness or a sense of value that causes my household and others to hold onto these things?  I think maybe it’s a bit of both.  Part of me just doesn’t want to deal with fixing the problem.  Another part can’t help thinking that I spent good money to get this particular item.  Maybe it still has some life left.  Maybe that’s an excuse but it is a compelling one.  Whatever the reason, it would still be nice to have a working pen when I need one.

No comments:

Post a Comment