Saturday, June 27, 2015

Saturday Excerpt, "Quest"


“In leaving Letheria, I saw little opportunity to the west or east, so I followed the mountains to their southern point.  From there, the Silver River divides the plains of the Mandreans to the east and Romadon to the west.  The river is fast flowing, particularly this time of year, and was far too treacherous to navigate.  Over the years, the river has cut a steep gorge through the land as it flows to the Sorrowful Sea.  To travel along its banks is impossible.  One must travel on one side or the other along the edge of the gorge.

“On the Mandrean sides, there were Legions encamped along the entire length of the ravine.  On the Romadonian side, there were only scattered watchtowers.  Not wanting to draw any great attention to myself, I chose to travel by way of Romadon.  Once I reached The Territory, I skirted the Western Forest in order to avoid the Demon Marshes and then headed east to see what fortune might bring.  I think you can pick up the story from there.”

Linvin’s ears came to attention at the names with which he was unfamiliar.  He produced the map he had taken from the goblins and laid it before Newminor.  “Can you show me those places on the map?” he asked. 

As it happened, Newminor was fond of maps and delighted in seeing the one at his feet.  “Say, this is a very detailed map.  Look over here, that is the tail end of the Silver River.”

Linvin pointed directly at the area labeled 'AVOID' and asked, “Are these the Demon Marshes to which you referred?”

Newminor looked and chuckled to himself.  “Avoid, how cute.  Well, I suppose that gets the point across, doesn’t it?  Those are indeed the Demon Marshes, and not even the bravest souls dare journey near.”

“What is it that scares you so?” Bander asked innocently.

Newminor smoothly spread his arms apart and corrected the elf.  “Hey! I am not scared of anything.”  He paused for a moment and looked at the map.  His eyes grew large as he stared at the region.  “I simply see no need to go looking for trouble, and entering that area invites trouble.”

Never one to pick up on subtleties, Bander continued his probe.  “Then what sort of trouble would one get into if they went there?”

Newminor looked at each member of Linvin’s company in disbelief.  “You know, when I said you folks were out here without a clue, I was just having fun at your expense, but you really know nothing about anything outside Sartan, do you?”  Before anyone could respond he continued, “Well, that speaks pretty poorly of your nation.  They think they are so powerful and mighty, yet their own people are ignorant of what lies beyond their borders.  How sad.  This probably isn’t even your map, is it?  Let me guess, you took it from the goblins and can’t interpret the symbols.  I can’t believe I even let such a pathetic bunch come to my aid.  In the future, I must be more choosey with my associates.”  He strode over to the fire and tasted the stew cooking.  Then he took a slice of jerky and lay down on his blanket.

Linvin showed controlled irritation.  “My good Newminor, your flagrant insults are indeed distracting, but you have once again spoken volumes without answering the question placed before you.  So please relent with the sarcasm and answer my cousin’s question.  To this point, you have been amusing, but the time has come for plain talk.  Tell us about the Demon Marshes or pack your bags and leave.”

No comments:

Post a Comment