Tuesday, June 23, 2015

New Excerpt


Linvin observed an old elf leaving the town pub down the

street. He had a slight limp, which he normally worked hard to

disguise. On that evening, he was in a hurry and noticeably

favored one leg.

“I say,” Linvin called out. “You were in the pub a little later

than usual, Elzer. Night is nearly upon us and not a lamp is lit in

the whole town. Your duties are in need of tending.”

“I know,” he answered while grabbing his special pole for the

task. “Drinks were two for one, and I forgot about the time.”

Linvin picked up his cup and sipped. The tea was cold. He had

not realized how much time had passed while he was on the

balcony. “Do not worry, Elzer. Time can go by rather quickly

when one is busy.”

Elzer stopped below Number 7. “Mr. Grithinshield, my kind sir,

the wife will tie me to the trunk if I’m late getting home. You

know how she disapproves of spirits. And I was wondering

if…you know…you could.” Elzer waved his hand in a circle.

Linvin broke out laughing at the sight of the pantomime. Elzer

appeared desperate. “You needn’t but do it this once, sir. I promise

I won’t never ask another thing from you so long as I live. But that

won’t be long if’n the missus finds out I’ve dipped my bill.”

Linvin composed himself and said while chuckling, “Well, I

could not allow a fellow gent to get in that kind of trouble. Hold

on.” He stepped away from the rail for a moment and returned

with the staff that the Red Sapphire called home. He held it aloft,

and it turned a fiery red. Pointing it at one of the lamps, he released

a bolt of magic that struck the wick. The red magic rapidly flew

from one light to the next until all of them were burning.

“You’re an angel,” Elzer cried. “I’ll have the wife bake you a

pie for this, sir. Your fav’rit is cherry-berry isn’t it?”

Linvin laughed and nodded. “Cherry-berry it is,” he answered.

Elzer nodded back and ran down the street.

Linvin turned his attention to the tea he was holding. His

eyebrows wrinkled as he concentrated. Soon his hand lit up with

red magic, and the cup was emerged in a red aura. After a few

moments, he relaxed his face allowing his hand and the steaming

cup to return to their normal colors.

He sipped and looked out over the rail. Dusk turned to night

before his eyes. Storm clouds took place overhead to obscure the

moonlight. The rainy season, it seemed, would pay another visit.

Illumination was left in the hands of the street lamps and lights

shining from houses and trees

No comments:

Post a Comment