Wednesday, April 1, 2015

If I Were a Billionaire


A friend asked me yesterday what I would do if overnight I became a multibillionaire.  I had the usual boring answer ready where I pay off my bills, invest for the future and so forth but then I started thinking.  This is just for fun.  What would you do?  I’d like to visit every country in Europe and not count calories while I’m there.  I’d like to buy a car that I can’t afford the auto insurance on right now.  I would buy a winter home in Florida with an orange tree in the back yard.  I would make generous donations to cancer research, diabetes research and the Heart Association.  I would add a wing to my church so everyone could fit in.  I would move my brother out of poverty in a dangerous part of Detroit and into a home of his choosing.  He always wanted to live on a farm.  Maybe I would buy him a farmhouse.   My other brother and sister would be set up so they would never have to worry about money again.  I would visit them more often.   I would go to Las Vegas not to gamble but to see every show.  I would pay the Beach Boys to play a concert just for me and my family and friends.   I would travel around Australia just so I could say I had done it.  My children would receive the best educations in the country and I would encourage them and support them as they became established.  They would not, however, get a free ride.  Too many kids have been spoiled by money.  I have good kids and I wouldn’t want that to change.  My wife; my beautiful wife could have whatever she wanted.  I think what she’d like most would be a maid.  If we’re going to go that route then we would need a mansion big enough to need servants.  We would have house servants and lawn servants and security to keep the nuts away.  I would go to Hawaii and pick a fresh pineapple.  Then I would cut away the sides and eat it like a popsicle.  I’d hire Megan Fox as my massage therapist…wait a minute.  That might not be such a good idea.  I’d lose half my money in a divorce.  I better hold off on that one.  In all seriousness, there are a lot of fun and different things I could do if I had that kind of money.  Do you know what I would most look forward to doing?  Writing.  I would write every day if I could.  That’s the big answer to the question.  I would have my own little world and my computer.  There my dreams would come to life while my family enjoyed my money.  Sure, I would do some of that but I am a simple man with simple tastes.  Let me write and I am happy.     

No comments:

Post a Comment