Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Editor Assigned


The work has started.  I have an editor assigned by my publisher to “Quest for the Red Sapphire” to spruce it up for its second edition.  I’m not sure if he’ll want to shorten it or not.  As I mentioned once in a blog, these works are like my babies and you wouldn’t want someone snipping part of your baby away.  I have to set my emotions aside and remember that this is a business.  I happen to be on the creative (fun) side of the business.  This editor is supposed to know what will make the book more appealing (such as a shorter length) to the public as a whole.  I must trust in his judgment and be thick-skinned…to a point.  If I feel deep in my heart that something crucial to the storyline is about to end up in the delete file, shouldn’t I say something?  Then again, am I going to feel that way about every cut?  This is the reason why people don’t edit their own work.  Obviously they like the way it is.  I don’t want to sound conceited but I believe in my heart that I am a good writer.  Therefore, if I believe in my publisher (which I do), then I must believe that I now have a good editor.  Sacrifices will have to be made but the end product will be improved, I am assured.  If, however, you have been on the fence about buying a copy of “Quest for the Red Sapphire” buy it now before any of it is lost…that is…changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment