Monday, April 28, 2014

So I Needed a Haircut @Solsticepublish

Well the print copy of “The Sapphire Crucible” has been delayed by 5-7 days.  Amazon is taking some time to get this done.  They did discover the error in the pricing for “Quest for the Red Sapphire” and have set that back to its original price.  I went and had my hair cut today.  I have had the same lady cutting it for over 7 years.  She does a great job and knows what I like.  I let it grow too long this time and am going into a very busy time at my day job.  It had to be cut today and my regular stylist was not working.  So I figured, “What’s the harm in going to someone else?”  I’m sure you can guess where this is leading.  I had a very nice lady cut my hair.  Let me start with the positive things.  Since she didn’t know me she hadn’t heard all my stories and jokes.  My normal lady knows everything about me.  It was fun to talk to fresh ears that had never been bored by my stories.  On the other hand, I told the lady today what I wanted and she didn’t interpret it the way my usual lady does.  The result was traumatic.  She would cut for a while and then find the colic on the back of my head was sticking up.  So she would cut some more from all over.  Then it did it again.  So she cut shorter.  Ordinarily I don’t pay much attention while my hair is being cut but I began to perk up when I saw the woman wrinkling her lips to the side as she tried to figure out what to do with the unruly hair with which she had to contend.  I became nervous as she would snip and look, then snip and look.  The longer she worked, the more scared I became.  I started to picture what it would look like if time-lapse photography were used and you could watch my hair getting shorter and then popping up in the back.  Then it would go still shorter and pop up again.  After a while she said, “That colic of yours is really troublesome.”  That’s never what you want to hear while sitting in the stylist’s chair.  It hadn’t been troublesome for 7 years.  Why was it a problem now?  She stopped when I presume she had the back straightened out.  Then she asked, “Do you want it shorter?”  I haven’t had this little hair since I was born.  So I told her to stop.  I usually use gel to hold my hair in place but I don’t think that will be much of a problem right now as there is little to hold down except my colic.  If I comb my hair the way I normally do it all stands up.  I don’t blame the stylist.  She thought she was doing as I asked.  I blame myself.  This must be how people feel when they cheat on their spouses.  I feel violated and like I was wrong to go to another woman for my needs.  I wish I could take it back but it is done and there is nothing I can do about it.  My stylist will forgive me, I hope.  She’s a good woman and I’m lucky to have her there normally.  I just need to forgive myself and find a way to keep this blasted hair from standing up in the back  When I returned home, I texted my wife and told her how much I missed her.  You truly don’t appreciate something until it’s gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment