Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Appreciating Our Gifts


Being a writer, you sometimes take little things for granted.  In my case I think little about my sight.  Now, I’m not talking about my bifocals.  I’m referring to the ability to see at all.  To be blind would end my love of writing.  Fortunately, I don’t have that problem.  Yesterday, however, I was talking with my oldest brother who has had Type 1 diabetes since age 9.  Among his health problems is diabetic retinopathy.  His sight slowly diminished until his current state of blindness.  He was once a published writer of poetry.  He had to give it up when his sight deteriorated.  It makes me realize how lucky I am to have my sight so I can continue with my passion for writing.  Every day there are so many simple things we take for granted like walking, talking, eating, hearing and sleeping in an ordinary bed.  I’m not preaching here but I think most of us have a lot to be thankful for.  Sadly, many of us, including me, concentrate instead on what ails us.  I bet my brother would switch medical problems with me in a heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment