Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Mood Music


People will ask me what my favorite song is.  In truth, I don’t have one.  It’s a lot like asking you what your favorite food is.  It changes with your tastes at the current time.  I like different songs when I’m happy, sad, angry, depressed, driving during the day, driving during the night, with my wife, with my kids, and so on.  Songs can affect your mood as well.  For example, if I’m in a really awesome mood I don’t want to hear Phil Collin’s “In the Air Tonight.”  It’s a great song but a total buzz-kill.  Likewise; if I’m down I might want to listen to Bob Marley’s “Everything’s Gonna Be Alright.”  It’s hard to be in a bad mood when listening to reggae.  In general, though, I think we, as humans, like to match the mood of our music to our mood at the moment.  Whatever the fire is that’s burning within us at a particular time; we like to feed it more of the same.  If your happy, some Beach Boys never hurt.  If someone does you wrong, “In the Air Tonight” is sounding pretty good.  Music plays a big part in many of our lives.  That’s great.  Just don’t let it control your life.  You choose your mental state.  Don’t let music choose it for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment