Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Editing


What a nice break from editing this is to sit down and write something.  To me, editing is work and writing is recreation.  When I am free to write I feel invigorated.  It’s more than just words on a page to me.  It is my creation.  The editing is like criticizing your child.  The time comes where it has to be done but you do not enjoy it.  My father was an editor.  He always came home from work looking like someone tried to strangle him with his own tie.  Dad had high blood pressure and the stress of being an editor didn’t help.  I remember one day he came home and shouted out, “No one knows how to write anymore!”  As a child I took the statement on face value.  I thought, “That can’t be.  Most people know how to write.”  Boy did I miss the point.  Being an editor is a hard job.  Although I get frustrated as an author from time to time, I do respect my editor.  She’s meticulous in her work.  That is frustrating but very important.  It makes my work better.  The time has come for me to end this break and get back to my edits.  Be patient.  “Mandrean Revenge” is coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment