Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Is Linvin Too Perfect?


I recently was told by a reader that I made Linvin (the protagonist in my books) “Too perfect” and that she rooted for bad things to happen to him throughout “Quest for the Red Sapphire.”  I guess that’s one way of keeping a reader’s attention.  Then I considered whether or not she was right.  On one hand, Linvin is very gifted in many ways.  On the other hand, he has his flaws just like anyone else.  Some of his flaws cause great hardship to the party.  He must also be so skilled and forthright in order to be worthy of the Red Sapphire.  He’s supposed to make the difference of an army by himself.  You can’t have a character who reeks of ineptitude wielding that kind of power.  That would be harder to believe.  It would totally ruin the question of why the Red Sapphire chose Linvin.  Is Linvin too perfect? I can see how people could see it that way.   To them I say, he’s as perfect as he needs to be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment